Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Waiting for the monsoon...


...is the translation of Wachten op de moesson - the title of a Dutch novel by author Threes Anna that I finished reading today. Whereas the previous books that I have read have been page turners, I really had to struggle to get to the last page of this novel.

The plot is taking us to India, where we follow the life of Charlotte Bridgwater. Charlotte is living together with her elderly and disabled father in a decayed villa in Rampur, trying to keep up the image of her previous high-society life as a Brit in India. When the tailor in the village passes away, Charlotte is persuaded to let a new tailor set up his workshop in her villa so that all the ladies of the club still can have dresses made for the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the club. As soon as the new tailor - a mute Indian by the name of Madan - moves in, Charlotte starts to fall in love with him.

This novel could have been a beautiful love story... One of the reasons why I struggled my way through this novel, is the constant changes in perspective and time. The way the plot ends was in my opinion also very unsatisfactory. So let's hope that the novel I will start on now, will be a page turner again!

No comments:

Post a Comment