Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hjertøya

I've fallen in love today! In love with an island... the island of Hjertøya or Heart Island.

It's Sunday morning, and the alarm clock was set for 6 AM. Yes, I know....ridiculously early for a Sunday! Fortunately I don't have to get up...My hubby does though, as he has to help out at the farm of the in laws. The weather forecast has finally shown that we will have a couple of days with warm, sunny weather - exactly what they and many other farmers in the area need for the second harvest of silage balls.

My hubby sneaks out of bed, trying not to wake me even more than the alarm clock did...but I am already brightly awake. While still lying underneath the duvet, I start to wonder what to do today - all by myself as a gressenke (grass widow - the Norwegian word for a farmer's wife left home alone during the harvest of silage). It doesn't take long before a plan comes to mind...

A tiny notice on the last page of our local newspaper had informed me that - even though the normal season had already come to an end one week ago - the boat to Hjertøya - one of the islands in the fjord of Molde (also known as Moldivene / Moldives) would be in service for one more day. After living in Molde for more than three years, it was about time that I would discover this "pearl out in the fjord" that everyone had been telling me about...


With a backpack filled with some salami pesto wraps for lunch, some oatmeal chocolate cookies for my sweet tooth and lots of other goodies, I step onto my bycicle and race downhill to the city centre to catch the first service out to the island.

After only 10 minutes out on the fjord, the boat moors at Hjertøya and I am off to follow the trail all along the southern coastline to reach my sixth Stikk UT-post and the most western point of the island - Hjertøytangen.


Whereas the trails managed by the DNT - The Norwegian Trekking Association - are marked by the traditional red T 's, the volunteers of  Hjertøyas venner (Friends of Hjertøya) have marked this trail with lovely pink hearts.


I have the trail all to myself and after hiking for nearly 45 minutes I reach the tip of the island. First, I have to write my name into the achievement book...



Next, I get comfortable at the picnic table right there at the end of the island, feel a gentle breeze brushing my cheeks, hear the seagulls and start enjoying the great lunch I brought with me. Life is good! Just wish my hubby could have been there with me...

Soon after more and more hikers arrive, and the great feeling of being all alone out in nature is gone. I decide to slowly return and follow the hearts back to the dock...discovering other great picnic/camping spots along the trail. Instead of walking back the entire way along the coastline, I decide to walk along the nature trail for the last bit... a trail with several posts that inform about the surrounding nature and have activities for children.

All of a sudden I'm out of the forest, understanding why many talk of this island as "the pearl out in the fjord"... as the centre of the island turns out to be a paradise, especially for families with small children. With a large field for camping, soccer, outdoor games and BBQing right next to a shallow beach, this must be a great spot to spend a summer's day! It's near the harbour and the island's museum, as well as the island's little café.



The café across the bay...

The museum
The boat back to Molde arrives sooner than I wish to leave...but I'll be back next summer...together with my hubby! This island has definitely found a soft spot in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment