Monday, April 19, 2010

The Rolls Royce of Lunchboxes

A couple of months ago at lunch break, one of my colleagues came into the lunchroom with what has to be the Rolls Royce of lunchboxes - the Bento System 2.0 (yes, I know, it nearly sounds like software for your computer, especially when you hear the brand name...) by Laptop Lunches. The rest of the week I would be sitting across the table from her, waiting anxiously for her to open up her lunchbox so that I could discover what goodies she had brought with her that day. It took me a whole week to realize that I just had to get my own Rolls Royce of all lunchboxes.



The Bento System lunchbox was designed by two Californian moms, who wanted to provide their children with wholesome, low-waste, appealing lunches. I guess their inspiration was the Japanese bento - the lacquered boxes used in Japan to bring along a single-portion, home-packed meal that normally consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables.

I have been using my Bento lunchbox ever since it arrived on my doorstep. Before I had this lunchbox, I would pack my lunch early in the morning - just grabbing a couple of slices of bread, puting some slices of cheese or cured meat on it, puting it into a disposable plastic bag - and run off to the office. I didn't bring any veggies, I didn't pack any fruit and was therefore probably not getting the nutrients I needed.

Nowadays my routine is completely different. I already pack my lunch the evening before, and the different containers force me to think more about what to pack. I normally fill one of the medium containers with yoghurt and one of the small containers with muesli to go along with the yoghurt. In one of the large containers I put slices of apple with a bit of orange juice to prevent the apple from turning brown, or a banana cut into halfs, or even some leftover fruit salad. With space left for another large container, I would pack a sandwich with some veggies, or some leftovers from dinner. Now I am definitely getting all nutrients needed, my portions are controlled and thus helping me to control my weight, plus I am producing a lot less waste by not using as many disposable bags.

The Bento System I ordered, came with a with a sleeve and an ice pack, so that I can keep my food cold until lunch. I also ordered some extra inner containers, also called "Bento Buddies 2.0" (available in many different colours), which gives me more options to mix different sizes of inner containers and gives me the opportunity to wash some containers in the dishwasher while using others. All containers contain no phthalates, bisphenol A or lead.



I even ordered a Bento System for my husband, not sure whether he would really use it, but with manly dark blue inner containers (instead of the girly pink inner containers I have) and a ready made lunch waiting for him each morning, it was easy peasy!

Feel like owning your own Rolls Royce of all lunchboxes? If you are living in Norway, you can order your Bento System from Gode Stunder, like I did. If you are living in The Netherlands, you can order your own Laptop Lunchbox from the Dutch website of Laptop Lunches. For ordering from other countries, go to the American website of Laptop Lunches.

Have a nice lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment