Saturday, May 22, 2010

Blueberry Smoothies

After a couple of weeks with pretty bad weather - as in snow falling in the middle of May!!! - the sun finally came out again yesterday and gave us the feeling that summer might be getting near.

Summer is synonymous with berry picking for me. Already in May I am looking forward to spending a couple of those long summer days out in the forest or at the farm of the in-laws, just sitting there amidst the bushes picking bucket loads of blueberries, lingonberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries.... and believe me when I say that I can sit there for hours on end!

I guess this passion for berry picking started when I was growing up. After moving from Wilnis to Laren (both in The Netherlands) when I was approximately four years old, my father planted vegetables and berry bushes at the back of our new garden. We cultivated lettuce, rhubarb, haricot vert, tomatoes and redcurrants, just for our own use. I wasn't forced to help in the garden, cultivating the vegetables and berries, but was allowed to help my father water the plants when I showed interest. Of course, while helping I could sneak a couple of ripe berries into my mouth! :-) My husband, on the other hand, was forced by his parents to pick berries every summer while growing up and therefore hates it now.

After all the berries are picked, I turn them into juices, jams and marmelades, or just freeze them to be used in muffins, cakes and smoothies during winter. It's always nice to be reminded of those long summer days during those long dark months of winter here in Norway.

With summer getting near, I always take a look in the freezer to see how much of last years "loot" is left over and try to use it all before Midsummer's Eve and the new harvest. I discovered yesterday that I still had quite a bit of blueberries left, so today it was time for smoothies!



Blueberry Smoothies

2 ripe bananas
0,5 ltr vanilla yoghurt
700 gr frozen blueberries

Just put all the ingredients into the blender and mix it all together! This makes approximately 1 liter of smoothies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment